According to faculty system and regulation that are accredited by the Supreme Council of Egyptian Universities, a student gets bachelor degree if he/she completes the credit hours required for graduation.
All courses that the student registers are calculated in standard units called credit hours that equal 1 hour (1 academic lecture) per week for a semester, and equal 2 hours (2 practical or tutorial sections) per week for a semester.
Academic Semesters and Language:-
- The academic year consists of 2 academic semesters (fall & spring semester).
- each semester is 15 weeks followed by the final examination.
The faculty council has the right to allow the registration for the students during the summer semester which is about 6 to 8 weeks followed by the final exam according to the following rules:
- If the student doesn’t complete the subjected credit hours during fall and spring semester.
- If the student got a failing grade in his/her courses, then he / she can register these courses during the summer semester.
- If the student desires to increase his/her GPA.
- If it helps the student to move and register for the next level.
- If the student desires to complete the graduation requirements.
- It is not allowed for students to register more than 8 credit hours during the summer semester.
Official Academic Language
- English language is the academic study language in all faculties of Horus University.
Horus University has adopted the National Academic Reference Standards (NARS) as base for designing the university academic programs and courses that is issued by the National Authority for Quality Assurance and Accreditation of Education (NAQAAE) and that has modified in 2015.
Academic Credit Hours:-
- The student is not allowed to register less or more than the specified credit hours each semester which are 12 credit hours.
- The student who achieves 3.3 GPA or more can register extra 3 credit hours per semester in the elective courses after getting the approval of his/her academic guide and the faculty council.
- The student who gets a CGPA that is less than 2 is not allowed to register more than 12 credit hours.
- The maximum registration hours allowed during the summer semester is 8 credit hours.
According to the credit hours system, student evaluation is calculated as follows:-
- Grade Point Average (GPA):
It is the sum of points that the student gets each semester divided on the total hours that the student passes each semester.
- Cumulative GPA (CGPA):
It is the sum of all courses scores that the student gets throughout all semesters divided by the total hours that the student passes along the semester.
- If the student failed one of the compulsory courses, he ⁄ she has to register it in order to pass that course after getting the approval of the academic guide.
In case a student faces unexpected conditions that prevent him̸ her from setting for the final exam, then he / she has to file a petition included official excuse to the faculty dean to get in-complete grade.
In that case the student has to fill in an application and present the official requirement for passing that in-complete course that has to be before the beginning of the next semester.